This travel video is going to be a little different from all my other travel videos in that the videos are not made out of video but from still photographs I took throughout my trip in Pakistan.
It’s not that I wanted to be edgy using this technique but I did it out of necessity as Adobe Lightroom failed me hard last year when I took the trip to Pakistan thinking that I have imported all the photos and videos to my HD to realize that Lightroom only imported my photos and not videos. Without knowing, I went on with my trip to Oman and Nepal and I had to format my SD card multiple times without knowing that all my footages aren’t in my HD and so long story short, I lost all my footages from Pakistan �.
Well, lesson learned not to trust technology too much as pesky bug like this can result in a month worth of footages.
Anyhow, I decided to use the parallax technique of animating still photos giving it life and volume, allowing for me to at least share my Pakistan trip with you all. The Parallax effect or as some called 2.5D effect is the technique I used in 2014 Desert of Australia (https://www.bucketlistly.blog/videos/desert-of-australia-a-motion-photographic-journey) travel video so I had to brush up a little bit on my After Effect skills.
Basically, the technique is to cut out each subject, fill in the background and animate it using 3D camera mode and puppet tools in After Effect and give it a subtle movement to make it as if it’s a video. It’s not easy and very time consuming but I think this video should entertain you and allowing you to get a glimpse of what it’s like to be traveling in Pakistan.
Pakistan is an extremely adventurous destination to travel to. It used to be a popular place for hippies to travel around in the 80s but due to the effect of 9/11, the country have yet recovered from the blow and only recently opening up. I travelled to Lahore, Islamabad and travel through the Karakoram Highway on my own. Along the way, I hiked the Fairy Meadows to see Nanga Parbat, the 8th tallest mountain in the world, hiked up the see Minapin Glacier and the Rakaposhi mountain, and made my way to the border of China, completing my traversal of the Karakoram Highway.
Throughout my journey, I met a ton of locals, friendly, and some of which I even shared some weird adventure together, like the time we all got our flight cancelled and had to travel 33 hours on land from Skardu to Islamabad as well as sleeping outside due to the police not letting us through Chilas until morning.
It was an incredible journey full of eye opening experience and even though, I do not have a video for you, I hope this Parallax Pakistan video will allow me to convey how memorable my trip was and maybe inspire you to visit Pakistan.
I hope you enjoy the video and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask me in the comments below.
Locations: Lahore, Islamabad, Gilgit, Fairy Meadows, Minapin, Rakaposhi Base Camp, Karimabad (Hunza Valley), Passu, Sost and Skardu.
Music: New Beginning by Philip Logan licensed via Artlist.io (https://artlist.io/Pete-165569).
Camera: Sony a6500 + 16 – 70mm F4 Zeiss lens (https://www.bucketlistly.blog/posts/sony-a6500-best-travel-camera-2018).
I have also written many Pakistan travel guide, so be sure to check them out:
• One Month Itinerary for Pakistan: https://www.bucketlistly.blog/posts/pakistan-travel-guide-one-month-itinerary
• 2 Weeks Itinerary for Traveling the Karakoram Highway: https://www.bucketlistly.blog/posts/karakoram-highway-guide-2-weeks-itinerary
• 7 Amazing Things to Do in Lahore: https://www.bucketlistly.blog/posts/things-to-do-lahore-pakistan
• 6 Best Things to Do in Islamabad: https://www.bucketlistly.blog/posts/6-best-places-visit-things-to-do-islamabad-pakistan
• How To Get to Gilgit from Islamabad: https://www.bucketlistly.blog/posts/how-to-travel-from-islamabad-to-gilgit-bus
• A Complete Hiking Guide to Fairy Meadows and Nanga Parbat Base Camp: https://www.bucketlistly.blog/posts/fairy-meadows-hiking-nanga-parbat-base-camp-pakistan
• 5 Awesome Things to Do in Karimabad, Hunza Valley: https://www.bucketlistly.blog/posts/karimabad-hunza-things-to-do-guide
• And many more on my Pakistan Travel Guide page: https://www.bucketlistly.blog/destinations/pakistan