Click the link below if you want to donate to PBJ!
Follow Me On Social Media
Twice-Baked Potatoes Recipe
3 Medium Russet Potatoes
8 Pork Bacon Strips
8 Scallion Stalks, chopped
2 Tbs Butter
6 Tbs Whole Milk
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Cup Shredded Colby-Jack Cheese
8oz Container Sour Cream
1 Tbs Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper (optional)
1. First things, first….. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Allow the oven to preheat for at least 10 minutes before adding the potatoes.
2. Wash the potatoes with salt water to remove any residue that maybe on them, poke several holes into the potatoes with a knife, then place them onto the baking sheet
Some chef’s claim poking holes into potatoes doesn’t make them cook faster but I have a habit of doing it because that’s the way I was taught to prepare them lol.
3. Bake the potatoes for 1 hr and 20 minutes, check for doneness after an hour.
Turn the potatoes over one time as they bake just to make sure they don’t burn. Sometimes baking the potatoes for too long on one side will result in them burning. So after about 40 minutes, turn the potatoes over.
4. To kill two birds with one stone, move onto the next step and chop the scallions into fine pieces while the potatoes are baking.
5. What you’re going to do now is fry the bacon. So place a skillet over medium-high heat, add the bacon, and fry the bacon until it’s brown and crispy on each side. Once done, sit the bacon on a paper toweled plate to drain the excess oil. Once chilled, break 3 of 8 bacon strips into itty bitty pieces.
6. Once the potatoes are done, cut them lengthwise straight down the middle.
Let the potatoes cool off a little bit before cutting them, but don’t let them chill completely though. You want the potatoes to be a little warm when combining them with all the ingredients.
7. With a spoon, scoop the flesh of the potatoes out into a mixing bowl.
Make sure you don’t scoop all the potatoes out of the potato skin aka boats. You want to leave some potato flesh on the bottom and sides of the potato skin so they won’t be limp.
8. Place the butter and milk in the microwave for a few seconds until warm.
You want the milk and butter to be warm when you add them to the potatoes. Cold milk may result in your potatoes having a paste like texture so make sure the milk & butter is warm before stirring them into the potatoes.
9. Combine all the cheese by adding it to a bowl and stirring them together.
10. Now it’s time to mix everything in together to create the filling for the twice baked potatoes. So first, add the warm milk and melted butter to the bowl of potatoes followed by the seasonings. Smash the potatoes in really well with a potato masher until everything is well blended and the potatoes are nice and fluffy and smooth!!!!
11. Next, add the cream cheese, the sour cream, the bacon bits, 1/3rd (which means less than half) of the chopped scallions, and 1/3rd of the combined shredded cheese to the bowl of potatoes, then stir everything in again until well blended.
12. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
13. With a small spoon, scoop the filling into the potato boats, then place them back onto the baking sheet.
14. Top the potatoes with the remaining combined shredded cheese and scallions, then break the remaining 5 bacon strips into pieces and place them on top of the potatoes.
Now I don’t crunch the bacon that I place over the potatoes as finely as I crunch the bacon I add to the filling, so just break the remaining 5 bacon strips into medium size pieces.
15. Place the potatoes back into the oven and bake them for 20 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted. These twice baked potatoes are SCRUMPTIOUS, guys!!! Your gonna LOOOOOOOVE THEM, trust me! Enjoy!